Thursday, January 31, 2008

Interview: Freelance toy sculptor Michael Locasio



Figures.com: What type of education do you have and what type of education would you recommend for a person trying become a toy sculptor?

ML: I had an apprenticeship with a bronze monument maker in NYC for years. It’s important to really nail down fundamentals like anatomy and proportions before jumping into fine detail work, so the training I got in traditional sculpting - working from models and cadaver dissections - was very valuable.

I did not study art in college mainly because I was able to continue this apprenticeship as an independent study. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend my education path; I’ve seen such diverse backgrounds from artists in the (toy) industry it’s clear there are many ways to get to the same point.

The most important aspect of it is your education never stops; there are always new techniques and skills to learn, new reference materials to study…even if you are an accomplished artist.

Read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment