Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Biz: Figures.com Interviews McFarlane Toys Sculptor Alex Heinke

Figures.com: Explain to folks exactly what it is you do?

Alex Heinke (AH): I sculpt prototypes in wax for McFarlane Toys. I’m usually working at a 2-up scale, so I’m sculpting a figure at 12 inches that will be produced as a 6 inch figure. (But) even at 12 inches, most traditional sculpting tools are to big and clunky; so most of the tools I use are actually jewelry or dental tools. The wax we use is quite hard so I use a lot of hot tools and torches to melt the wax as I’m working it (as well).

[Snip]

Figures.com: If a person wanted to break into sculpting in the toy industry, what suggestions would you give them?

AH: Sculpt as much as you can and try to work in a variety of styles. See if you can mimic the style of a particular sculptor or company, imitation is a great way to learn. If you don’t have enough time to get good at sculpting everything, focus at getting good at one thing. If you are really good at drapery or can do some really crisp armor, it can get you in the door. Once a company knows you can do one thing well, they will give you more stuff...

Click through to read the whole thing.

1 comment:

  1. How would I get in contact with someone who can point me in the right direction as far as getting my sculpting portfolio together? steveogent8@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete